Thursday, February 03, 2005

Larry King...


Time, originally uploaded by Run Steve Run.


I watched Larry King Tuesday night… well sort of. My hands covered my face half the time… like what I do when I watch a horror movie. “Don’t go in that room!”… “Don’t say THAT!” Too late. The conversation was with a few of the reps from Time’s list of the “25 most influential evangelicals.” I think if I were watching as a person who had little background with Evangelicalism, and wanting to know what they stood for, I think I would walk away feeling very confused as to what Evangelicals actually believe. I don’t want to overstate it. There certainly were some good things that came out. It’s no doubt that each panel member came across as a person living on conviction and most were involved in some sort of ministery that sought to help other people. I do not question their fervor and I certainly want to give credit where credit is due.

On the other hand... There were some things said that left me very disturbed. The couple on the panel seemed to be very convinced that this country is a Christian nation that needs to have “under God” in the pledge. They believe that abortion is the top and basically the only moral issue worth fighting for, and that homosexuals are different than “normal people.” Oh, “but we love homosexuals.”

A few chimed in stating that the Tsunami was a very strange event and then the conversation turned into talking about the end times (a best seller topic for one of our panelists). The next thing we know, we’re hearing about the evils of a one-world economy, that we should be suspect of the United Nations, and that we should be cautious of world peace because this is what the antichrist promises.

This led into an ongoing mantra of “Jesus being the way” and “Jesus dying for our sins” whether we were talking about disaster, social issues, politics, family, or stem cell research. Somehow, by saying “Jesus is the answer,” the problems of our world will disappear, and by keeping “god” in the Pledge and republicans in office, we’ll stay a “Christian nation.”

Thoughtful and gracious responses came from a few others on the panel, but it felt too little, too late. I fear that damage had been done and the outsider’s stereotypes of evangelicals were reinforced. As for evangelicals, I think what was reinforced was a picture of the wide diversity of Evangelical opinion for what it means to express the Gospel. I wonder what each of them thought of each other’s responses.

Some might blame Larry King or CNN (I can already hear the spin about the “liberal media”) but it appeared to me that Larry and the callers asked some very honest questions… questions about tragedy, human responsibility, love, justice, compassion, etc…questions that evangelicals should be able to answer well … and half the panel, from my vantage point, failed miserably. The ones that got the most airtime failed answering the questions… because I think they failed in hearing the questions. And what I fear most is that they don’t appear interested in really listening.

Even more, I’m not sure we’re listening to ourselves and hearing how confusing and disconnected our evangelical-speak really is. Maybe I shouldn’t get all bothered about a 1-hour talk show. But it’s a check for me.

Did any of you see it? What's your take?

You can read the transcript at ....

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0502/01/lkl.01.html

4 Comments:

At Fri Feb 04, 12:10:00 AM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It really seemed that McClaren came across most graciously....One of the callers agreed and pointed out that Jakes and McClaren spoke with a bit more grace than the rest. Although, I think Franklin Graham usually comes across well. I just get tired of the "Oh my God!!! It's the last days, we're in the end times." stuff.

I guess what frustrates me is this lack of Love that seemed to go out over the airwaves. Steve, you are correct, these opportunities ought to be moments for the body of Christ, I mean "evangelicals" to shine. You know, light in dark places. Aren't we supposed to carry the message of hope, grace and renewal. I feel like someone disconnected the tap from the keg of Living Water.

From LaHaye, I just seemed to hear a bunch of scary, monster like, boogeyman babble. This may sound critical of me because you cannot hear my tone nor see my face, but LaHaye and his wife sit there with their plastic faces and gold rings and talk about all of their long years in ministry. Since when is ministry about starting anti-gay, anti- abortion women's movements and writing scary, violent, horrifying, bloody, and quite possibly untrue depictions of the end of the world. Granted, if I had the LaHaye's money, I might have the plastic face and the gold rings, too. But I sure wouldn't write crappy novels.

I want to see us be about carrying the message of hope, grace, and renewal. I want to do the message....and I am still trying to prayerfully figure out how.

James Littell
Lighthouse Village
http://jameslittell.typepad.com

 
At Tue Feb 08, 07:16:00 PM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe those of us who feel uncomfortable with the religious right and fundamentalism or dispensationalism should just stop calling ourselves evangelicals. People like Tim and Beverly LaHaye and Franklin Graham are an embarassment and don't really speak for me, anyway. I am happy to acknowledge that we are part of one diverse body of Christ, and I certainly don't want to swallow up their identity. But insofar as evangelicals have become either a political interest group or a wing of the church based around certain beliefs, I'm not so sure I can identify with them. I wonder, what is at stake in using that name and identifying with those people? Can't we just be faithful Christians? Personally, I use the name to identify myself as little as possible, and I usually just tell people I'm Reformed.

Sean Larsen

 
At Wed Feb 09, 11:43:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger Ben said...

I saw it and recorded part of the conversation.

I think Larry King was asking good questions--questions that need to be heard. I think Brian McLaren and T.D. Jakes are men who are listening well, and speaking well.

My greater fear is the conviction that I don't listen very well...that I don't hear my wife enough or the people around me because I'm moving too quickly to listen. And that my poor listening is turning into empty words. God help me with all that! bw

 
At Sun Feb 13, 12:10:00 AM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't get a chance to see that interview with Larry King, but I wish I had. I'll probably take a look at the transcript. Without taking on the roll of the victim too much here I do want to say that it's unfortunate that most people are happy to group all Christians into the fundamentalist, conservative right. Since this last election most of the time I see any air time about "Christians" it's about the significant chunk of the voting public that turned out to influence this last election in favor of the GOP. On the other hand, I can't stand hearing leaders in the Democrat party participate by strategizing about gaining the evangelical vote by using the "language of faith."

It seems to me that many find it satisfying and perhaps vindictive to lump all Christians into this dreadfully embarassing group. Sorry, but I don't follow James Dobson or Pat Robertson, nor do I like the idea of threatening Congress with prayer, or purposefully mobilizing the church to vote for and venerate a politician that actively deceives and plans violence in the name of "freedom" all the while claiming OUR just God's counsel.

I renounce all that, but it grieves me to the core that it goes this way in the US. It pains me to think that a countercultural movement can become so intertwined with a political ideal, one that is intrinsically self-centered, cold-hearted, and amoral.

Oh, yeah... hello Steve. I've found a wonderful site.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home