Sunday, June 12, 2005

the big talk before camp...

camp, originally uploaded by Run Steve Run.



My oldest daughter went to, what I consider, her first "youth retreat" alone this weekend.

I was nervous.

I felt like she and I needed to have a talk before we put her on the bus that would take her to a camp about an hour north where she would experience time in nature… with a bunch of boys, with volunteer leaders that we don't really know, boys, and with all the pressures that come with going on a Christian retreat at a Christian camp. Did I mention boys?

Actually, I wasn't worried about the boys, or Kara running after them either, at least not yet. But I was worried... about camp. Once you’ve been around in the Christian-world-o-ramma, you figure out some of the patterns associated with it, along with a predictable “camp experience” – Kids go to camp, they get worn out by too much fresh air, activities... and sugar. And at the right time, some well-intentioned, adult has your kid making some "decision" to accept something, or go somewhere, or step forward, or commit to some super spiritual "let-go-and-let-Jesus" issue.

And I was nervous.

Don't get me wrong. I love my church and I'm supportive of our youth group team. I want to be a cheerleading parent, and I want to be more than someone on the sidelines that lobs complaints about the group. It's just that, too often, I’ve observed that some well-intentioned adults in retreat settings are convinced that it’s their responsibility to get kids to make big decisions/commitment/etc. And I believe... it's not.

So Kara and I had a talk. We talked about the fact that, as a family together, we seek to live out the Gospel. I reminded her that she and I have talked about what it means to follow Jesus and that I see evidence of God in her life through the spiritual fruit that God is growing in and through her. I gently cautioned her that, if anyone asks her to make any "decision," to kindly answer "no, thank you” explaining that decisions or issues can be talked in the context of community– her family.

Do I think decisions at camp are bad? Most of the time, I’d have to say yes… because it potentially short-circuits the most important relationship a student has… and that is one with their parents and family.

Youth leaders must keep this frame of reference in mind for retreats, small groups, and youth groups in general. I’ll support any youth leader who understands that. I’ll even view them as my pastor.

7 Comments:

At Wed Jun 15, 10:06:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger Nate Dawson said...

I'm with you man. Even though I had good experiences at camp, it still seems shady sometimes. She sounds like a bright girl. It will all be good, I'm sure. I sometimes even have to ask, "Why did I origianal "get saved," as we often called it. Was it because they were trying to scare me out of hell. Sometimes I wonder if that was my original intention as a young child, naturally I grew into loving Jesus at a very young age but it seems the intention of so many.

 
At Fri Jun 17, 09:43:00 AM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just thinking. You seem to relate to Kara as a very reasoned, rational teenager. I am sure you have a great deal of confidence in her ability to make good choices. Will she not be making choices (non-spiritual of course) the entire time she is at retreat? Will those choices be made outside of community? Why, then do you discount her sensitivity to hear God and respond to Him? A "just say no" approach to all appeals feels like "community control."
Steve, haven't you ever invited someone to be a follower of Jesus. Haven't you done that without any intent to manipulate but simply give the same opportunity Jesus does?
Just thinking.

 
At Fri Jun 17, 09:58:00 PM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a good point.

i'm sorry i've been lazy on emailing you, i promise i'll find time shortly to update you on my life.

God bless.

 
At Mon Jun 20, 07:59:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger steve said...

Ron…
Thanks for taking the time to add your thoughts here. I appreciate your push back and I’ve been mulling over your questions over the weekend. I’ll try to answer your good questions backward to forward.

Yes, I have asked people to follow Jesus. And I hope my motives have been honorable. But I think even honorable motives can be misguided. I think there have been times when I have asked students to follow Jesus, and have included their family in the process, and there have been times when I have neglected to do so. I know God can work in all scenarios, but I wonder if there are times that we, as youth leaders, perpetuate an individualized approach to following God rather than seeing that the following of Jesus cannot be done outside of community (On a side-note… I don’t believe in alter calls, and in my preaching, I point people back to their community. I’m not sure I have the right to ask anything of anyone, unless I’m their pastor or small group leader who truly knows them).

You are right, I am trusting Kara to make decisions, both spiritual and non-spiritual (though I don’t believe the two can be separated). I don’t think these choices are outside of community… but an extension of community. As a father, I believe it’s my responsibility to prepare her for what she might anticipate, no matter where she goes. Maybe, my initial post sounded a little more harsh then I meant it to be. I encouraged her to listen to God, talk with her leaders, etc. But I wanted to give her an out to know that she didn’t need to respond to something just because a well-intentioned leader told her to.

What concerns me is the separation that there can be between parents and youth ministries. I hope to be a parent that supports our youth leaders and I’m looking for the same back… all for the growth of my kids (not to mention my own groth!). I hope that the retreat is not “outside of community” but is one more aspect of community. But that comes with time, I think. I don’t think that’s community control (which also sounds like teenage reasoning) but is our attempt to live interdependently rather than independently (a foreign concept to we Americans who seem to place the highest value on independence and individuality… I would call that secularization and the American church is held hostage by it.).

All I can say, is that I’m tormented with being a youth leader and a parent and I’m trying re-think formation for my kids.

Incidentally, Kara had a great time. Her leaders were wonderful, and I think her parents learned a few things, as well.

Thanks for your thoughts. They helped me.

 
At Mon Jun 20, 08:00:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger steve said...

Hey Billy!

Thanks for the note. I was talking with Mike last week and was thinking of you!

Gimme a call when you can.

Peace-
s

 
At Mon Jul 25, 01:07:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger Randy Buist said...

"I’m trying re-think formation for my kids."

Sounds like the question of 'belonging, believing, behaving.'

:)

 
At Mon Jan 09, 07:15:00 AM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interested. Keep Blogging!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home