Sunday, December 18, 2005

40- The Crisis Begins...

I’ve been trying to avoid the inevitable, but I can’t hold it off much longer.

This Thursday, December 22 I turn 40 years old and yesterday, Jen surprised me by taking me out to face the reality by celebrating with some dear friends. We did what all people clinging to their youth should do… go tubing.



Yes… this place was great, although I’ve never seen so many signs with the word “No” in front of another word or phrase. There were lots of rules…and I think we may have broke half of them. By the end we were jumping on each other’s tubes in mid-flight and experiencing tremendous wipe-outs.

As for awards…

Jen- Jedi points (went down the hill with her hat over her eyes with no hands while kneeling on her tube! The force was with her all day!).

Troy (the bullet)- Gets the most points for breaking the sound barrier multiple times.

Dave- Gets demolition points for colliding with the most people sending them airborne.

Linda- Gets the style points… for dancing on her tube and taking some pretty serious wipeouts (she’ll be Advil girl today).

Me- I get Naked points… for officially begin my 40-year crisis by tubing with my shirt off…

After this adventure we went to a place to warm up had a great time by a great fire in great conversation. This was a memory-making day for me.

If I can have my 40 year-old crisis with friends like these… I think I’m going to be okay.

But remember … until December 22… I’m still a 30-something.

2 Comments:

At Tue Dec 20, 09:14:00 AM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shirtless tubing? Next it'll be a red corvette, a tattoo on the calf and skateboarding in the half pipe to Linkin Park.

 
At Tue Dec 20, 12:48:00 PM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saying your 30 something till the 22nd is like saying you're still alive while blindfolded to a post in front of a firing squad with rifles raised. Tubing is a great metaphor for your momentous transition to forty as it represents the accelerated downhill slide into an oblivion you cannot escape. And yes, why not enjoy the ride on the flaming craft as she accelerates you towards AARP eligibility. Sweet dreams and I'll see you on the other side muffin!!! This is fun. I wish you could turn 40 every year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home