Monday, December 12, 2005

Advent... small


It’s easy to feel small. I think we feel small all the time. That’s why we try so hard to get big. When we’re young we want to be older, bigger, capable, successful. When we’re older, we don’t necessarily want to be older, but we want to be significant. It’s the fuel of all marketing, isn’t it? Buy this… be that.

I think we know we’re small.

I think I don’t like to admit it.

Small.

Advent takes us down the road of seeing the greatness of God. This time asks us to pause to consider our place in relation to God. His coming places things in perspective. Accomplishments, titles, connections, awards, religious bling don’t make us big, they only hide our smallness and the only ones who seems to buy into it, are those sporting it, craving more.

God the reality… the big reality puts things into perspective. God does it without needing to do anything but… be. When I notice the greatness of God… I am reminded that I’m an XS in a XXL cosmos.

i’m small.

tiny.

hardly noticeable.

God…
gets our attention
by
becoming
… small

It’s the biggest thing God could ever have done.

It fills my smallness bigger than I can ever imagine.


ps– This third week of Advent is marked by the lighting of the pink candle- a symbol of faithfulness that encourages those on the Advent journey that they are halfway there. Keep preparing for the one who is coming…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home