Friday, December 02, 2005

Advent... See

This week in house church, we were discussing the necessity of Advent. Why do we need to take a special time to do what we should be doing all the time? A point well-taken.

For me personally, I find the rhythms of the church calendar and the church service essential or immersing me in the story of God– It helps me take a look around.

It’s too easy for me to fall into patterns of my faith pursuit that make me blind to my surroundings. For example, I can read a passage in the Bible and read it like I always read it, not stopping long enough to see it in a fresh way… or not stopping long enough for God’s Spirit to speak through the text.

I do this in life, too. When I live life on auto-pilot I miss the scenery. It’s like I live outside of life efficiently running from one obligation to the next, never enjoying anything because I’m not immersed in it.

I want to see.

I “wasted time” and took this picture this morning. My morning run was in the snow today. The world looked different. I felt I was running on the inside of the scene rather than checking “run” off my to do list.

I hope today I live inside of life, not outside of it.

I want to see.

1 Comments:

At Sat Dec 03, 07:47:00 AM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the question about whether we need advent might not be for people like you who focus on the whole church calendar. So many people just celebrate advent, and then only as an afterthought to Santa and Shopping. Love the picture.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home