Sunday, November 20, 2005

An open letter to YS Exhibitors…

Dear YS exhibitors, I’ve just finished walking through the exhibit hall at the YS National Youth Workers Convention… and I’m feeling a bit angst-ridden…

Let me start by saying that I am overwhelmed with the passion and zeal I see through the plethora of ministries represented, and the enthusiasm of those at the booths who want to serve youth ministry leaders. I do not question your heart, nor your spirituality and I am convinced I have much to learn from each of you.

However, I need to let you know that I walked away from the exhibit hall dizzy from the experience and wondering what kind of message you believe you are sending. I think I can safely assume that we all agree with the adage that, “the medium is the message.” I believe that’s why your ministry exists… to help youth leaders better communicate Jesus’ message. If that’s the case, I’m wondering if I might ask you a few questions…

• What do giving away iPods, computers, programs, videos, etc, etc. through raffles and contests have to do with your ministry?
• In your booths, how much is gimmick and how much is substance?
• Is it possible to take things too far… like when I’m asked to take a shot at a picture portraying an ‘annoying middle schooler,” and “elder” or a “Sr. Pastor?” (yes… with a real BB gun).
• Is there ever a case where maybe one might overstate their purpose, their claims, or what their ministry can really do?
• Is there a reason why we might want to sell t-shirts that encourage people to say that, “Satan is a Nerd?”
• How much candy do we need?
• How much media is necessary?
• How loud does the music have to be?
• How many pens do I have to take (and why are you offended when I kindly respond “no thank you”)?
• How many rubber bracelets can one wear (no matter how catchy the acronym is)?

Do you ever feel that maybe this all is getting out of hand?
Do you ever feel like exhibiting has escalated to where, each year, one has to have a bigger, sexier booth just to get noticed?
Do you honestly think this is worth your valuable time just to get my 30-second attention?
Did you know that youth ministry professors send their students through the exhibit hall because they are using you as case studies?

If you haven’t left my post yet, thank for sticking with me this far.

I don’t want to be a blamer or a complainer. I’m not anti-exhibit hall, and honestly, I believe that in the end, content not commercials win the day. I just wish there might be a solution to something that, to me, seems to have gone wild.

I suppose I could write Marko an email and tell him to “do something.” But that feels like someone calling the youth pastor demanding her/him to monitor the dress code for a youth group of thousands. I don’t think that’s Marko’s job.

It seems to me that you ministry exhibitors are more than capable to monitor yourselves. But, someone has to make the move to back down and refuse to let this continue to escalate. Someone has to be the first to think of creative ways to communicate their message that gets beyond a gimmick-ridden approach. And the toughest part will be that somebody has to go first. Whoever has the balls to do that will have my greatest admiration.

One trick of a preacher, when s/he doesn’t have much to say, is to be louder and funnier. I hope this isn’t what you are doing. I want to believe that you have something to say… and I want to hear it.

In your attempt to help clarify the church’s message… don’t lose yours.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Peace to you-
Steve

6 Comments:

At Mon Nov 21, 10:51:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger salttheplanet said...

Steve,

Thanks for the insightful comments on the exhibit hall. It has helped me to step back and place marketing in its rightful place.

One of the seminar speakers this weekend had an interesting thought about this. He couched it in the structuralist philosophy (hmmm, wonder who it could be?) that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

From my understanding, this is to say that many of these exhibitors have healthy heart attitudes toward this and desire to further the endeavors of youth workers at YS. Yet when all parts of the promotion of their ministries are brought together, the overwhelming massiveness of it smacks of the money changers in the temple.

Your challenge for just one to have the balls to step up and change has the potential enough to change the whole system. (I believe that a few of them already strive to refrain from many of the things you mentioned.) So maybe these are your "theses" nailed to the door of the West Exhibit Hall in Nashville.

 
At Mon Nov 21, 01:16:00 PM GMT-5, Blogger heather said...

Please tell me you photo-shopped in that huge red balloon... uggh...

 
At Mon Nov 21, 01:33:00 PM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

here here I felt that angst and sickness - the hall felt so slick and produced and glitzy - form over substance, medium and marketing over message...

many of the exhibits were screaming so loud - to this day I have NO idea what they were promoting.

I exhibited in the hall and I felt that nasty tension.

thanks for your helpful and very good analysis.

 
At Mon Nov 21, 08:30:00 PM GMT-5, Blogger gavin richardson said...

with you on the angst. i had fun giving odd responses to the vendors, which might not have been very Christian, but then again, i'm not a fan of gorilla marketing every 3 feet, it is a bit much.

 
At Wed Nov 23, 01:54:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger tonymyles said...

To answer one of your questions... you can never have enough candy if we're talking Nestle Crunch mini bars. If it's the Krackel rip off brand, though, forget about it...

 
At Fri Nov 25, 12:01:00 PM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - that is exactly how I felt at Pittsburgh.

I'd come back to my hotel room and ask, "Why did I do that? Why am I made to feel guilty for wanting to avoid the eyes of the exhibitors? And how much more useless junk do I have to throw away now?"

Furthermore, how many mission trips can one youth group really go on?

For all the refreshment and invigoration the YS conventions offer, the Exhibit Hall, while I do want to go, is one big headache. (Although I did win a case of Student Life Application Bibles from Tyndale House Publishers!!!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home