Thursday, November 03, 2005

Florida Bound This Weekend…

I’m headed to Fort Myers, FL this weekend.

I’m presenting for Group Publishing’s Group Magazine Live and I’ll be at Crossroads Baptist Church. If you read this and you happen to be in Fort Myers, give me a shout. It’s going to be 80+ degrees there and I wonder how my November, Michigan-acclimated body will adjust to the climate change… I think I’ll be just fine. I’m definitely packing the running shoes.


What I’ve always appreciated about Group is their ability to give very practical, hands-on material to youth workers. The seminar that we’ve worked on with Group has sprung from the findings of Christian Smith’s excellent book, Soul Searching: The Religious and Spiritual Lives of American Teenagers. Anyone who’s in youth ministry or works with teenagers needs to put this book on their “must read” list. Smith’s research, assessment, and questions are crucial for us to consider as we think about life and faith for adolescents.

And while Smith’s focus is on teenagers, one of his observations is that the picture painted of teenagers’ spiritual lives is not just about teenagers, but is a reflection of culture that points to the current state of most adults. I love it. So when adults who are enamored with their own perfection ask, “What’s wrong with those %$@@**!! teenagers today?” I’m going to answer… “Maybe it’s %$@@**!! You!”

A more positive response is being expressed through a project that I’ve had the opportunity to work on with Rick Lawrence from Group, and a few other veteran youth pastors. Rick took seriously the critique’s of Smith’s study and has tried to address the critical points Smith makes. Rick seeks to find ways to offer positive and practical ways to shore up areas in youth ministries that Soul Searching describes as potentially problematic. The topics include:

• One’s View of God (vs. Moralistic Therapeutic Deism)
• Everyday faith living
• Articulating what one believes
• Spiritual formation
• Creating true community
• Partnering with parents
• Missional living
• Navigating through a post-modern climate

My contribution to the book was to provide theologically, creative approaches/ideas that might help youth leaders shepherd their youth groups (students, parents, leaders). I hope people will find this a helpful resource.

What I love most about these seminars I train, is rubbing shoulders with some amazing people who love teenagers.

Youth workers are truly a holy tribe…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home