Friday, November 11, 2005

YS Nashville- National Youth Workers Convention Seminars: My Picks…



With 80+ seminars to choose from at the YS NYWC… how does one choose? All deserve a look and the great thing is that there are a plethora of options for all kinds of youth leaders.

If I had to narrow down my picks, here’s some that I would consider…

Doug Fields (Thursday, 11/17-18 Critical Concerns Course)
Starting Right: Your First Two Years in Ministry If you’re new to youth ministry. Invest your time with Doug.

Dan Kimball (Friday, 11/18, Seminar 1)
New Generations, New Questions: Issues We Need to Address that Our Emerging Culture is Asking I think Dan does a good job of thinking through the issues of our emerging culture in the context of the existing church. If you’re a youth pastor in an established church, I’d go to this.

David Brown (Friday Night, 11/18, 10PM)
Forum on Reconciliation. The more I talk with my pastor friends and thinkers, the more I’m realizing that reconciliation can no longer be a side issue when it comes to ministry and expressing the gospel.

Tony Jones, Duffy Robbins, Dan Kimball (Saturday, 11/19, Seminar 2)
See my reflections on this conversation from the Sacramento seminar.
Postmodernism: Good and/or Bad? A Brotherly Conversation A huge topic that everyone needs to have a conversation about.

Walt Mueller (Saturday, 11/19, Seminar 3)
Mars Hill Ministry: Reaching Students Through Pop Culture I’ve heard really good things about Walt’s seminar. He’s a great resource for helping our parents of teenagers.

Katie Miller (Saturday, 11/19, Seminar 4)
Ministering to Middle School Girls Guy youth leaders, we need to be sensitive to the needs of the girls in our youth groups supportive of our female youth leaders. Make sure you take in one seminar that addresses the needs of females. Also, see my post from Pittsburgh regarding Kara Powell’s seminar Finding Balance as a Women in Youth Ministry

Tiger McLuen (Sunday, 11/20, Seminar 5)
The Temptations of Leadership Tiger (such a cool name!) is a youth ministry vet. He’s got a lot of experience and worth listening to.

Will Penner (Sunday, 11/21, Seminar 6)
Sacred Journeys: Recapturing the Value of Pilgrimage Great guy. Awesome topic. Walk away from room full of ministry displays… and center.

Ah… so many great seminars… so little time! Rock on, friends.

2 Comments:

At Mon Nov 14, 06:15:00 PM GMT-5, Blogger tonymyles said...

Don't forget the late night option:

"736 Ways To Break A Junior Higher In Half"

 
At Tue Nov 15, 05:25:00 PM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Steve, this is really helpful. I was going over the schedule this morning and highlighting everything I want to attend. There are at least 2 seminars in each time block. You have intrigued me with fusing youth ministry and theology though. I am going to have to make some tough decisions; I'll just wait until I am there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home