Monday, November 14, 2005

My YS- Nashville Promise


While at YS, I promise…


To be still for at least one hour in the prayer room.

To spend more time processing ideas in seminars than looking for free stuff in the exhibition hall.

To not pretend to ask people questions that only set me up to talk about my own ministry.

To refuse bringing up numbers, percentages, or projections about how huge my ministry is or is going to be.

To run at least 10k in the streets of Nashville.

To admit that every person attending YS is probably smarter, nicer, more godly and more faithful than me.

To hug any protestor I see standing outside the convention center.

To go to a seminar that has a topic I know nothing about (thus admitting that I am narrow-minded and have much to learn yet).

To give away my cool YS backpack to a teenager.

To thoughtfully fill out a seminar evaluation form.

To not take more than my allotted “one freebee” at each plenary session.

To worship God… not David Crowder (my own temptation).

To sit in the front row of the seminar I attend. Not the back.

To not complain about my pastor, my leaders, or my students.

To be real with at least one person about how my life is really going.

To reflect on changing one thing on my “inside” before I make one more change to my ministry “outside.”

To buy books only if I read them in the next three months.

To take Marko and Tic out for a beer if they accept my invitation.

…To see, in every youth worker, 10 students they love, and recognize that this convention isn’t about 7000, but 70,000… and then I will pray, weep, and say “thank you” to God who lets us love “the least of these”… teenagers.



See you there, gang…

5 Comments:

At Mon Nov 14, 11:07:00 PM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's such a great list. I'm taking my entire youth staff to Nashville this week for the convention. None of them have ever been to the NYWC before, so if you don't mine I'd like to share this list with them so their perspective stays focused. Thanks man!

 
At Tue Nov 15, 12:53:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger Tank said...

Can I get an Amen...all except that running part.

 
At Tue Nov 15, 06:03:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger steve said...

Thanks, guys.

Tim... feel free to share the list with your gang. You are a wise leader to be bringing your team! Have an awesome weekend!

Tank... hey, nice site. Glad to see you're thinking about coming to one of our seminars. Nor pressure if you don't, but at least stop in and say "hey."

Peace-

 
At Fri Nov 18, 03:44:00 PM GMT-5, Blogger tanya said...

i'm curious to know if tic and marko take you up on your beer offer?

 
At Sun Nov 20, 12:43:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger tonymyles said...

Stick to the list...

although I'd suggest you make the beer a root beer, but that's just me. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home