Sunday, July 24, 2005

Stupify!



Last week, I joined the over 9 million world-wide potter-ites, by picking up the Half Blood Prince. Some say (especially religious types) that literature can’t compete with video games, movies, computers, etc., etc. Maybe its’ time to admit that the problem isn’t a lack of reading, but the lack of good story tellers. I give mega kudos to JK Rowling for her amazing ability to tell a wonderful story. I admit I’m hooked… I’ve already finished the book. And I’m a bit challenged by how I communicate.

Chances are, emerging generations don’t stray from the Christian community because of video games, movies, or computers… but because we’ve failed to tell of the wonderfully mysterious, scary, thrilling story of God. If we communicate that all the Bible is, is “God’s Instruction Manual for Life,” we deserve the yawns we get. Worse, if we “preach the word” with no imagination, we deserve the protest we get, too.

5 Comments:

At Mon Jul 25, 11:54:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger Jason Mitchell said...

All I have to say is that your hair looks smooth man.

 
At Wed Jul 27, 02:43:00 AM GMT-5, Blogger Ted M. Gossard said...

Thanks. One of my regrets in life is not having read more widely, especially novels that are good story telling. Not too late yet for me. Good thoughts.

 
At Thu Jul 28, 01:23:00 PM GMT-5, Blogger Joe said...

Harsh words for a TEDS grad, but very true indeed. Always appreciate the thoughts. And what's with the hair? It definately looks smooth.

 
At Sun Jul 31, 12:11:00 AM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're looking younger each time I see you! That's the hair trick... Very thought provoking actually, but I do know the value of good book.

 
At Tue Dec 20, 12:47:00 PM GMT-5, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stop blogging right now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home